Boston Mayor Thomas Menino Unveils “Truman Parkway Plaza”
QUINCY, Mass. – At 7 a.m. this morning, The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC re-opened its doors to its newly built Hyde Park store at 1025 Truman Parkway in Hyde Park, Mass., and kicked off a month of grand opening festivities and savings opportunities for the community.
The supermarket underwent a complete rebuild to double the store’s size, make it more energy efficient and expand its produce, seafood and prepared foods departments, all in efforts to better serve the urban community.
Boston Mayor Thomas Menino was on hand to celebrate the opening and unveiled “Truman Parkway Plaza” as the new moniker for the shopping center that also underwent a complete redesign during the Stop & Shop renovation.
“Stop & Shop has gone above and beyond to beautify this plaza and make it a more enjoyable place for residents to shop and work,” said Boston Mayor Thomas Menino. “I am honored to be part of today’s community celebration and to recognize the time, energy and money invested in the plaza and surrounding infrastructure.”
Stop & Shop, which owns the plaza, invited the community to weigh in on the preferred naming of the plaza through an online vote in late February/early March. An overwhelming 64 percent of voters selected “Truman Parkway Plaza” for the name of their go-to shopping center, which includes a Walgreens, Super Liquors and Blue Hills Bank in addition to the Stop & Shop.
“We are proud to be back in Hyde Park to better serve the community,” said Mark McGowan, president, Stop & Shop New England Division. ” We are extremely pleased with the brand new store and plaza and are excited about the community’s overwhelming enthusiasm around the opening.”
The store will be offering festivities and special savings to the community on grand opening day
through the end of April to celebrate it’s re-opening, including:
- Character Appearances – Friday, 3/31 only: See your favorite characters including Tony the Tiger, the Oreo Man, and the Teddy Graham Bear and take a tour of the Oscar Mayer Wiener Mobile.
- Stop & Shop Brands Patrol – Stop & Shop is giving away up to $4,000 ($500 per day) worth of gift cards through its Stop & Shop Brands Patrol! The Stop & Shop Brands Patrol will be on the look-out for customers as they finish checking out. For every randomly selected customer that purchases one or more Own Brands items, the Brands Patrol will award the customer a $10 Stop & Shop gift card. Stop & Shop’s Own Brands include: Stop & Shop Brand and Nature’s Promise®; Simply Enjoy; Guaranteed Value®; CareOne®; Companion; Cottontails. The Brands Patrol will be in the store the following Saturdays and Sundays from 12 p.m. – 4 p.m.: 3/31 and 4/1; 4/14 and 4/15; 4/21 and 4/22; 4/28 and 4/29.
- Passport Program with a DJ – Customers and kids can travel and tour designated areas of the store, sample food and collect stamps along the way. Visit five areas and adults will receive a free reusable bag (while supplies last), and kids can receive a treat at the bakery! Passport program opening weekend hours are Saturday 3/31 and Sunday 4/1 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Grand Opening Sweepstakes – Stop & Shop is holding a sweepstakes for a chance to win free groceries for a year! Customers are automatically entered to win when shopping with their card at this store exclusively from 3/30-4/26 (please see the store for additional details). Prizes include:
– A Year of Free Groceries ($5,200 in Stop & Shop gift cards)
– $2,500 in Free Gas ($2,500 Stop & Shop gift cards)
– $1,000 in Stop & Shop gift cards
- Green “Monstah” – Wally the Green Monster, the official mascot for the Boston Red Sox Major League Baseball team, will be making a debut at the new Hyde Park store on the following Sundays from 12 p.m. – 1 p.m.: 4/1, 4/7, 4/15 and 4/22.
- In addition, all plaza businesses including Walgreen’s, Super Liquors and Blue Hills Bank will take part in the grand opening celebration and offer special promotions throughout the grand opening weekend.
Quality and More Selection Throughout the Store
The Hyde Park store will offer a variety of products throughout each department:
- A larger produce department will provide a wider selection of cut fruit, fruit and vegetable party platters, and new pre-cut vegetables packages.
- The prepared foods section and full-service deli department will feature fried and rotisserie chicken, hot soup, sandwiches and more.
- The store will also boast thousands of Stop & Shop’s Own Brands products for additional quality, variety, and everyday value.
- A new full-service seafood department will offer a full range of the freshest fish.
Savings In-Store and Beyond
- Customers will be able to take advantage of Stop & Shop’s ongoing savings and rewards programs to not only save on their shopping trip, but beyond the store as well:
- Weekly Specials! and Real Deals! (items on sale for several weeks) can be identified in store and in the circular.
- Stop & Shop Gas Rewards saves customers at the pump! Each dollar spent shopping with the Stop & Shop card earns a point. Every 100 points saves 10 cents per gallon at the pump. Redeeming points is easy – Gas Rewards points are accepted at all Stop & Shop gas stations and at participating Shell fuel stations. The nearest Stop & Shop gas station is located approximately three miles away at 950 American Legion Highway in Roslindale, Mass.
- A+ School Rewards – Stop & Shop’s program to support local schools is free and easy for customers to help schools receive funding every year. Visit stopandshop.com for details.
Built with the Environment in Mind
The new store, which will pursue LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification in the coming months, is anticipated to use up to 20 percent less energy than a typical grocery store of this size. It was built with an extensive range of energy efficient features:
- White roof to reflect the sun light and reduce the heat gains in the store, requiring less energy for space cooling.
- Skylights to harvest day light and dim energy-efficient fluorescent lights to reduce the electricity consumption during peak daylight hours by an average of 2.5 percent.
LED lighting in overhead track lights, spotlights on specialty areas & displays, exterior store signs and in the frozen food cases which uses half the wattage of traditional incandescent lighting.
- Low air return in frozen aisles which makes the store environment more comfortable for shoppers.
- ECM (electronically commutated motor) motors in the refrigerated fixtures and walk-in coolers that deliver uniform airflow while using 33 percent less electricity.
Low mercury, energy-efficient, fluorescent light fixtures throughout the store with occupancy sensors in the storage areas and offices.
- An Energy Management System to monitor the performance of the lighting, refrigeration, and HVAC systems.
- Low flow fixtures in the bathrooms and prep areas to reduce water consumption by over 35 percent.
- Low VOC (volatile organic compounds) paints, adhesives and sealants to ensure proper air quality.
- Green cleaning methods used with non-toxic materials for better indoor air quality, including:
– Water efficient landscaping;
Specified Regional materials which are sourced and fabricated locally;
– Construction waste management to divert materials to recycling centers; and
– Construction methods that adhere to Indoor Environmental Air Quality LEED standards.
The new Hyde Park Stop & Shop located at 1025 Truman Parkway will be open 7 a.m. – 10 p.m. today. Regular store hours are 7 a.m. – 10 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 7 a.m. – 9 p.m. Sunday. For additional store details, information about in-store offerings and savings or Stop & Shop's community partnerships, visit www.stopandshop.com.