Quincy, Mass.– The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC announced today it will open its doors at 6 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 16 to a new energy-efficient store in Wayland, Mass., marking its first entrance to the Wayland-Sudbury area. The new store will offer residents and neighboring towns Stop & Shop’s trademark savings programs and every day values, while embodying the Wayland community’s commitment to sustainability and healthy living.
Located at 400 Boston Post Rd., the new 45,000-square-foot store will be LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified, and is anticipated to use up to 20 percent less energy than a typical grocery store of this size. It will boast the latest in energy efficient features, some debuting for the first time for the supermarket company. Stop & Shop will introduce complementary electric car charging stations at the new store, providing nine parking spots for electric cars. Other energy features include:
- More than 600 roof-top solar panels which are expected to supply about 11 percent of the store’s overall energy needs; and
- LED parking lot lights which will reduce energy consumption by 50 percent vs. traditional lighting and will save about 1.4 percent of the store’s annual electricity requirements.
In addition to ensuring the store reflects the community’s dedication to sustainable and healthy living, the store will also offer a wide selection of offerings including fresh produce, natural and organic goods, a full service meat department, and quality Stop & Shop Own Brands items. Stop & Shop’s Healthy Ideas® shelf labeling will help shoppers identify truly healthy foods across the store and gluten-free tags will help shoppers find products to meet their dietary needs.
“We are truly excited to serve the Wayland community. It has so many dedicated citizens who take great pride in their town,” said Joe Kelley, president, Stop & Shop New England Division. “We feel confident that with the store’s energy-efficient features and full complement of services, this new Wayland Stop & Shop will serve the region well. We look forward to forging lasting relationships with our new customers and supporting the area in fighting hunger, promoting healthy families and protecting the local environment".
New Store Offerings
Customers will have a variety of innovative solutions and ongoing savings to make shopping both easier and affordable, including:
- SCAN IT! and SCAN IT! Mobile. Whether using the hand-held devices or a personal device, customers will be able to scan, tally and receive personalized savings while they shop. The SCAN IT! Mobile app is available to iPhone® 3GS, 4G, 4S, 5 and most Android™ users.
- ORDER IT! deli kiosk to order deli items in store then pick up at the customer’s convenience. Alerts are announced in-store or customers can receive text alerts to their phone.
- CHECK IT! self-scan registers for customers who look for quick convenience at the end of their shop.
- WEIGH IT! scales to weigh and tally items in the produce department. WEIGH IT! scales can be used with SCAN IT! or by themselves for customers who are tracking their purchases.
Savings in Store & Beyond
- Weekly Specials! and Real Deals! (items on sale for several weeks) can be identified in store and in the circular.
- Expanded selection of Stop & Shop's Own Brands products for additional quality, variety, and everyday value.
- Stop & Shop Brand – hundreds of items across the store
- Nature’s Promise® – natural and organic products
- CareOne® – quality health and beauty products
- Simply Enjoy – restaurant inspired appetizers, desserts and specialty foods
- Smart Living – household supplies
- Companion – pet food and supplies
- Cottontails – baby care products
- Guaranteed Value – everyday products at value prices
- Stop & Shop Gas Rewards: Each dollar spent shopping with the Stop & Shop card earns a point. Every 100 points saves 10 cents per gallon at the pump. Redeeming points is easy - Gas Rewards points are accepted at all Stop & Shop gas stations and at participating Shell fuel stations. The nearest Stop & Shop gas station is located at 543 Old Connecticut Path, Framingham, Mass. (5 miles away).
- A+ School Rewards: Stop & Shop's program to support local schools is a free and easy way for customers to help the school of their choice receive funding every year. Visit stopandshop.com/aplus for details.
Additional Energy Efficient Features
- White roof to reflect the sun light and reduce the heat gains in the store, requiring less energy for space cooling.
- Skylights to harvest day light and dim energy-efficient fluorescent lights to reduce the electricity consumption during peak daylight hours by an average of 2.5 percent.
- LED lighting in overhead track lights, spotlights on specialty areas & displays, exterior store signs and in the frozen food cases which uses half the wattage of traditional incandescent lighting.
- Low air return in frozen aisles which makes the store environment more comfortable for shoppers.
- ECM (electronically commutated motor) motors in the refrigerated fixtures and walk-in coolers that deliver uniform airflow while using 33 percent less electricity.
- Low mercury, energy-efficient, fluorescent light fixtures throughout the store with occupancy sensors in the storage areas and offices.
- An Energy Management System to monitor the performance of the lighting, refrigeration, and HVAC systems.
- Low flow fixtures in the bathrooms and prep areas to reduce water consumption by over 35 percent.
Low VOC (volatile organic compounds) paints, adhesives and sealants to ensure proper air quality.
Green cleaning methods used with non-toxic materials for better indoor air quality.
- Drought resistant landscaping to minimize water consumption.
The new Wayland Stop & Shop located at 400 Boston Post Rd., will be open 6 a.m. – 11 p.m. Grand Opening Day, Nov. 16. Regular store hours are 7 a.m. – 11 p.m., Monday through Saturday and 7 a.m. – 9 p.m. Sunday.
The new store will employ approximately 150 associates.