The Ahold Delhaize strategy, "Better Together," is our compass. It guides our decisions and focuses our efforts, giving our great local brands the flexibility to best serve their customers, associates and communities. Developed by leaders and teams across our businesses, the strategy defines the kind of companies we want to be, what drives us, and how we will win in our markets worldwide.
Ahold Delhaize is a collection of unique brands, each with market-specific needs, along with shared challenges and opportunities. "Better Together" builds on our strength and scale. It is broad enough to help us make choices as a group, yet flexible enough for our brands to tailor and bring to life locally.
Introduced to Ahold Delhaize leaders in October 2016, the strategy will be shared broadly by the brands with all associates in 2017. It consists of four core elements: our purpose, our sustainable business model, our promises and our values. These elements, implemented locally, will provide guidance and direction to drive our long-term success.
Strategic Framework: Better Together”
The reason we are in business – our purpose – shapes everything we do. And each part of our purpose is significant:
- Together we actively share best practices, learn from one another, and realize the benefits of our scale.
- Great Local Brands are the heart of our business, allowing us to serve customers on three continents with local brands that are known and loved.
- Fresh Inspiration propels us and inspires customers with fresh products, ideas and services – including eCommerce solutions – to help shoppers bring affordable, healthy, delicious meals to the dinner table.
- Every Day our brands meet customers' needs.
Sustainable business model
Our sustainable business model is a continuous cycle that shows how our brands create value for all stakeholders. Across Ahold Delhaize, each brand works to find savings in order to invest and grow. The model guides these local strategies, allowing us to continuously invest in fresh, healthy, affordable products and services:
Save for our customers:
- Buy better
- Operate smarter
- Waste less
Fund growth in key channels:
- Smaller formats
Invest in our customer proposition:
- Affordable for all
- Best own brands
- Fresher and healthier
- Most local and personal service
Our brands promise customers, associates and communities to be a better place to shop, a better place to work, and a better neighbor – every day. And each brand measures performance based on clear criteria:
- A better place to shop: Net promoter score, which indicates customers’ willingness to recommend us to others.
- A better place to work: Associate engagement, as measured by periodic surveys.
- A better neighbor: Our score on the Dow Jones Sustainability Index and measurement of progress to meet targets in the Ahold Delhaize Sustainable Retailing Index.
The merger of Ahold and Delhaize Group in July 2016 brought together two companies with complementary cultures and similar values. Now we have adopted a new set of shared values embraced by our brands, reflecting our strengths and our priorities: