QUINCY, Mass. – The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC today announced it will debut a new store in Chelmsford, Mass., boasting more selection and innovative features to bring a new kind of grocery shopping experience to the Merrimack Valley. Located at 299 Chelmsford Street, the distinctive concept store will open its doors on Nov. 18 at 7 a.m.
Replacing the former 38,500 sq. ft. location at 16 Boston Post Road in Chelmsford, the new, 72,000 sq. ft. store will be the first of its kind for Stop & Shop. The store’s format and offerings were designed to better meet the needs of customers in Chelmsford and positively impact the health and well being of the community. Exciting and convenient new amenities include an in-store nutritionist, a supervised child play area, curbside pick-up and innovative in-store shopping tools.
“We are constantly seeking ways to improve the customer’s overall shopping experience each time we open a Stop & Shop store,” said Mark McGowan, president, Stop & Shop New England Division. “This new Chelmsford Stop & Shop is a leader when it comes to providing the breadth of selection and options for our customers. Our aim is to not only help simplify their shopping experience – allowing customers to shop they way they prefer to shop – but make it truly enjoyable as well.”
Two store managers, Ed Attubato and Joe Manganaro, with nearly 40 years combined experience with Stop & Shop, will lead a store team of more than 230 full and part-time associates to ensure a top-notch shopping experience.
Quality, Variety, and Selection Throughout the Store
The store will offer an expanded assortment of products throughout each department.
- The expansive produce department will more than 1,200 items including a wide variety of heirloom tomatoes, a large selection of cut fruit, fruit and vegetable party platters, and new cut vegetable offerings
- The prepared foods section and full-service deli department will feature fresh fried and rotisserie chicken, a full salad bar, over 250 varieties of world-class cheeses, a sushi bar, hot soup, sandwiches and more
- The full-service meat and seafood departments will offer only USDA Choice or higher meat, Certified Angus Beef, Nature's Promise® Organic meats, free-range all natural beef, and Choice Catch sustainability seafood
- The full-service, expanded bakery department will offer freshly baked breads and signature desserts
- The Nature’s Promise® Marketplace will provide a wide variety of 650 natural and organic products; the store overall will offer more than 4,500 natural items
- The store will also boast approximately 4,000 Stop & Shop’s Own Brands products for additional quality, variety, and everyday value
- Other departments include a bountiful full-service floral department, an expanded international foods section, and 25 aisles of grocery items
Savings In-Store and Beyond
Customers will be able to take advantage of Stop & Shop’s ongoing savings and rewards programs to not only save on their shopping trip, but beyond the store as well:
- Weekly Specials! and Real Deals! (items on sale for several weeks) can be identified in store and in the circular.
- SCAN IT! – whether using the in-store hand held devices, or a personal mobile device, customers who use SCAN IT! will receive personalized savings as they shop, scan, and tally their own order – potentially saving $250-$500 per year.
- Stop & Shop Gas Rewards saves customers at the pump! Each dollar spent shopping with the Stop & Shop card earns a point. Every 100 points saves 10 cents per gallon at the pump. Redeeming points is easy – Gas Rewards points are accepted at all Stop & Shop gas stations and at participating Shell fuel stations. The nearest Shell station is conveniently located at 189 Chelmsford Street.
- A+ School Rewards, Stop & Shop’s program to support local schools, is free and easy for customers to help schools receive funding every year. Visit stopandshop.com for details.
Innovative Shopping Tools
The store will be fully operational with Stop & Shop’s latest technological innovations, including SCAN IT! Mobile. A first of its kind grocery mobile app, SCAN IT! Mobile allows customers to use their personal mobile device to shop, scan, and tally their groceries while they shop. The app is available to iPhone® 3GS, 4G, 4S, and many Android™ users.
In addition, the store will have 6 CHECK IT! self checkout lanes, 60 SCAN IT! hand held devices that allow customers to scan and bag groceries while they shop and 2 ORDER IT! deli kiosks where shoppers may pre-order deli items
New Store Features – Additional Details
- On-Site Nutritionist – Stop & Shop’s first in-store nutritionist, Julie Menounos, will be available to assist customers with questions on healthy lifestyles and for one-on-one consultations by appointment. Customers can also look for the nutritionist in the aisles while they shop.
- Curbside Pick-Up – Customers will be able to order groceries from the convenience of their computer and pick them up without leaving the car. They simply pull up to our dedicated Curbside Pick-Up area where Stop & Shop associates will take payment and load the customer’s car.
- The Tree House – Customers shop, we watch the kids! Introducing The Tree House, the brand new supervised child play area complete with toys, games, and more. An experienced child care team will supervise customers’ little ones for up to 90 minutes for free so they can fully enjoy a one-stop shopping experience. The Tree House will be open 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. daily and available for children ages 3–9.
- Family Friendly Check-out Lanes – Two designated lanes will be merchandised with ‘better for you’ snacks and beverages for both young kids and adults as well as “family friendly” magazines and travel size items.
- Wi-Fi Internet Access – Customers can enhance their shopping experience with fast, reliable free Wi-Fi internet access. They can surf the web and check email, all while relaxing with a cup of fresh coffee in our self-service seating area
- Citizens Bank – A new branch offering seven-day banking and extended hours, knowledgeable bankers, enhanced ATMs, and the convenience of banking where you shop.
Built with the Environment in Mind
The new store, which will pursue LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification in the coming months, is anticipated to use up to 20% less energy than a typical grocery store of this size – the equivalent of the amount of energy needed to power 60 homes for a year. It was built with an extensive range of energy-efficient features:
- White roof to reflect the sun light and reduce the heat gains in the store, requiring less energy for space cooling
- Skylights to harvest day light and dim energy-efficient fluorescent lights to reduce the electricity consumption during peak daylight hours by an average of 2.5%, or 67,000 kwh annually
- LED lighting is used in many areas of the store, including overhead track lights, spotlights on specialty areas & displays, exterior store signs and in the frozen food cases (LED lighting uses half the wattage of traditional incandescent lighting)
- New DuctSox® (fabric duct) ventilation system and low air return in frozen aisles; both help provide better air distribution across the store and make the store environment more comfortable for shoppers
- ECM (electronically commutated motor) motors in the refrigerated fixtures and walk-in coolers that deliver uniform airflow while using 33% less electricity
- Low-mercury, energy-efficient, fluorescent light fixtures throughout the store with occupancy sensors in the storage areas and offices
- An Energy Management System to monitor the performance of the lighting, refrigeration, and HVAC systems
- Low flow fixtures in the bathrooms and prep areas to reduce water consumption by over 35%
- Paints, adhesives and sealants used in this store have low VOCs (volatile organic compounds) to ensure proper air quality
- Storm water from the roof is piped under the parking lot to help replenish the groundwater
- Green cleaning methods used with non-toxic materials for better indoor air quality