September Events Across Region Help Alleviate Hunger
Landover, Md. – Giant Food of Landover, Md. announced several initiatives across Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, and Washington, D.C. to fight hunger during September, Hunger Action Month. Giant recently announced a partnership with Unilever to support five regional Feeding America food banks including the Capital Area Food Bank, Maryland Food Bank, Blue Ridge Area Food Bank, Fredericksburg Area Food Bank, and Food Bank of Delaware.
“Giant is looking forward to another successful Hunger Action Month. We recognize that not every family in the communities we serve can put food on the table every day, and we’re committed to helping relieve some of the strain,” said Anthony Hucker, president, Giant Food of Landover, Md. “With the help of our customers, I know we’ll be able to support our neighbors in need.”
Hunger Action Month initiatives hosted by Giant include:
- Stuff-A-Truck in Charlottesville, Virginia: Giant, together with Newsplex and Monticello Media, will host the fourth annual Stuff-A-Truck in Charlottesville to benefit the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank. Giant’s goal is to collect 10,000 pounds of nonperishable food items, and the grocer has committed to donate the first 2,500 pounds.
Rivanna Ridge Giant Food Friday, September 7, 2012
1900 Abbey Road 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Charlottesville, Virginia 22911
- Stuff-A-Truck in Fredericksburg, Virginia: Together with Unilever, Giant will host a Stuff-A-Truck event in Fredericksburg to benefit the Fredericksburg Area Food Bank.
Park ‘N Shop Giant Food Saturday, September 8, 2012
1245 Jefferson Davis Highway 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Fredericksburg, Virginia 22401
- Stuff-A-Truck in Wilmington, Delaware: Giant and Unilever invite the community to help Stuff-A-Truck in Wilmington to benefit the Food Bank of Delaware.
Concord Square Giant Food Saturday, September 8, 2012
4301 Concord Pike 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Wilmington, Delaware 19803
- Kick Hunger Challenge in Perry Hall, Maryland: Giant and Unilever come together this year to kick hunger with a food drive to benefit the Maryland Food Bank. After dropping off donations, customers can mingle with Ravens cheerleaders and meet former Ravens wide receiver Quadry Ismail and also enjoy special tastings prepared by local Celebrity Chef Nancy Longo. Giant and Unilever are proud to support Taste of the NFL’s efforts to end hunger in Maryland.
Perry Hall Giant Food Saturday, September 15, 2012
8905 Belair Road 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Perry Hall, Maryland 21236
- To conclude Hunger Action Month, Giant will host Giant Food Community Food Drives at all 171 neighborhood stores on Friday, September 28, Saturday, September 29, and Sunday, September 30. Customers are encouraged to donate non-perishable food items to benefit local Feeding America Food Banks including the Capital Area Food Bank, Maryland Food Bank, Blue Ridge Area Food Bank, Fredericksburg Area Food Bank, and Food Bank of Delaware.