A better place to work is also a safer place to work. Ahold USA’s “ZoneIn” program supports management and associates to play their part in creating the safest possible stores - for associates and customers alike.
Every month, “ZoneIn” activities in each store include:
- ‘Safety Selfies’; a self-assessment method for associates to monitor their knowledge of safe working habits in their department
- ‘Gotta minute for a safety conversation?’; a tool for managers that provides dialogue to start conversations on safety with their associates
- Department safety self-inspections
- Safety Committee meetings
- ‘Safety Tips for Store Managers’ meetings
The program, developed in 2013, has put safety in the center of operational culture in all Ahold USA stores, with the brands successfully reaching their targeted goals:
- 100% of stores have a monthly, in-store Safety Committee meeting
- ‘Gotta minute for a safety conversation?’ are now completed by 52% of all associates: a 40% increase compared with 2015
- Safety Selfies are now completed by 49% of retail associates: a 22% increase compared with 2015
Motivated to roll-out
The program helped Ahold USA reduce worker lost-time injuries by 2.6% and customer bodily injuries by 0.6 in 2016. With these tangible results in hand, we are now looking at the feasibility of rolling out the program in other brands worldwide, as part of our Better Together strategy.
Playing to win
In December, the Stop & Shop store in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, won a $300 prize, to be used for a store-based event or activity, for achieving 100% in Safety Selfies, 100% in ‘Gotta minutes’, and significant increases in associate awareness of the program.