Ahold Delhaize brands are committed to working with suppliers who share the Ahold Delhaize values and concerns for animal welfare. They look to work with suppliers who are committed to sound, science-based animal care practices and the elimination of animal cruelty, abuse and neglect.
We believe that an animal's welfare, whether on farm, in transit, at market or at a place of slaughter should be considered in terms of its 'five freedoms'. These freedoms are ambitions rather than standards for acceptable welfare. They form a logical and comprehensive framework for animal welfare, the goal of which should be to encourage also the livestock industry to make the necessary efforts to improve animal welfare. The Five Freedoms are as follows:
- Freedom from Hunger and Thirst - by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigor.
- Freedom from Discomfort - by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
- Freedom from Pain, Injury or Disease - by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
- Freedom to Express Normal Behavior - by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal's own kind.
- Freedom from Fear and Distress - by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.
Ahold Delhaize does not support the testing of own brand food, pharmaceutical or cosmetic products and their ingredients on animals, nor do we ask our suppliers of our own brand products to conduct animal testing on our behalf, unless we have a legal obligation to do otherwise. We believe that every reasonable effort must be made to avoid the use of animals for testing of food, pharmaceutical or cosmetic products and their ingredients. In the case of pet-food testing, the preference is to use kennel-animals.